Today we woke up super early for our classes because we wanted to have enough time to update our blogs and check facebook beforehand. We had a quick cup of tea on la terraza (an outside patio in the back of la casa de Maricarmen, that has a pretty amazing view of the city.)
After that, we walked to el centro for classes. Hacía mucha mucha calor. It was really hot with our customary uphill walk and my backpack, but it was well worth it to be able to use the Internet.
When we got to el centro, I facebook chatted with Jenna, checked my notations, my emails, and a couple of other things that I have not been able to do without regular possession of the Internet. Talking to Jenna was very nice; It obviously hadn’t happened for a few days, and I’m missing her pretty badly right now.
Classes were, admittedly, pretty lame, and I don’t really feel like talking about them. After class we returned to la casa, where I found that I had a brand new text on my phone from my father. The text assured me that my parents had landed safely in Italy and were now at their Venice hotel, where the scenery is apparently reminiscent to what might be found in a James Bond movie. I breathed a quick sigh of relief for my parent’s safety, and chuckled at my dad’s everlasting flair for humor.
After almuerzo, we took a much-needed siesta. I didn’t want to get up, but I needed to because we had some homework that needed to be done. We quickly read through our text book for our linguistics class and decided that we needed to get the other part of the assignment done today as well; asking a native speaker where the post office is, and secretly recording the conversation. So we headed back near the aqueduct to, first, stop off for some churros con chocolate (they’re even better than they sound.), and some coffee. Nate did his interview with the waitress, who would eventually become the bane of my existence. When we paid for the churros the smallest bill I had was a five, so I set that down, and Nate and Alejandro set down the money that they owed. The amount sitting on the tray was about two euros more than we needed to pay, but I was expecting change. After collecting our money, this conniving woman never returned with our change. Lesson learned: if you are thinking about eating at Valor in Segovia, pay with exact change.
So, we decided the change wasn’t worth waiting for, so we left and searched for our victims. I found an old man sitting by himself, and asked him where the post office was while pretending my recorder was my mp3 player. I know. Not very clever, but it got the job done, and even though I messed up a little, he gave me a pretty good sound bite.
Dinner was next. Maricarmen made us another wonderful dish that was reminiscent to pasta. I have to admit that I’m starting to become more comfortable around Maricarmen, and it seems to be working both ways because it appears that she has become pretty fond of us.
After dinner, we finished Zombieland and now I’m blogging. I have to wake up mås temprano por la mañana. The buses roll for Toledo at 7:30 tomorrow. ¡Ádios.!
Hola everyone. For the better part of this Summer I will be taking residence in Segovia, Spain. In order to optimize my experience, I will be keeping a bit of a trip diary, and I would love it for others to be able to share in my experience. For the next month I will be making regular entries, posting pictures, links, and maybe even a sound clip or two. Thanks for following!! Hasta Luego.
Alcazar
I less spectacular view of Alcazar, but its remains something that we simply don't have in the States.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment